Synolis VA is a smart gel that is injected into the joint(s) affected by osteoarthritis (OA). With Synolis VA, you can expect fast and intense relief from pain, as well as improved joint function. Synolis VA works across all types of osteoarthritis. It can be given by your doctor to treat mild, moderate and severe osteoarthritis. Synolis VA is made up of a unique combination of hyaluronic acid (HA) and sorbitol.1,2
Hyaluronic Acid is a substance that occurs naturally in the human body. Hyaluronic Acid can also be found in animals and can be produced by bacteria in a process called biofermentation. The Hyaluronic Acid contained in Synolis VA is highly purified and is produced using the latest biofermentation technology. It has a “non-cross linked” structure, just like the Hyaluronic Acid naturally occurring in the human body. Unlike treatment with Hyaluronic Acid from animals, there is no risk of allergic reactions to animal proteins following treatment with Synolis VA.1,3,4
1. Sorbitol is an antioxidant that is found in apples and pears. It is used in a variety of everyday products, such as food, cosmetic creams, toothpaste and medications. Sorbitol helps preserve the Hyaluronic Acid part of Synolis VA.1,5
2. Synolis VA, Instructions for use.
Heisel J, Kipshoven C. Drug Res (Stuttg). 2013;63(9):445-9.
Radenne F. Poster presented at IOACON Congress 2013
3. Arthritis Foundation. Hyaluronic acid injections for osteoarthritis.
http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/medication/drug-types/other/hyaluronic-acid-injections.php. Last accessed 18/08/17.
4. PubChem. D-Sorbitol.
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/D-Sorbitol#section=Top. Last accessed 17/08/17.
In healthy joints, a natural lubricant known as synovial fluid helps reduce friction between cartilage, a rubber-like padding at the ends of bones.1-3
The body’s natural Hyaluronic Acid is a key part of synovial fluid. Hyaluronic Acid has unique features that enable synovial fluid to change based on what you’re doing. For example, if you’re sitting down reading a book, synovial fluid will have a thick consistency to help reduce friction between the cartilage when you move to turn a page. While, if you’re walking, synovial fluid will become more elastic, helping to absorb the shock from each step you take. Synovial fluid is therefore said to be viscoadaptive.2,4
In osteoarthritis, levels of Hyaluronic Acid are reduced. This means that synovial fluid can no longer adapt as well as before. As a result, friction between cartilage increases, wearing it down and causing bones to grind against each other during movement. This leads to symptoms such as pain, swelling, stiffness and reduced joint function.5-7 Find out more here
When injected into the joint, Synolis VA works by mimicking synovial fluid. Synolis VA is viscoadaptive and adapts to your movements in the same way that synovial fluid does. Friction between the cartilage is therefore kept to a minimum, helping the joint function normally again and providing fast, long lasting pain relief.4,9,10
1. Nguyen L. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18,601.
2. Tamer T. Interdiscip Toxicol. 2013;6(3):111–5.
3. Hunter D. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2008 August;34(3):623–3.
4. Gavard S, Reymond L. Poster presented at OARSI Congress 2013.
5. Iannitti T et al. Drugs R D. 2011;11:13-27.
6. Arthritis-health. What is cartilage?
https://www.arthritis-health.com/types/joint-anatomy/what-cartilage. Last accessed 02/08/17.
7. WebMD. What is inflammation?
http://www.webmd.com/arthritis/about-inflammation#1. Last accessed 17/08/17.
8. Lavet C et al. Poster presented at ESCEO 2017.
9. Heisel J, Kipshoven C. Drug Res (Stuttg). 2013;63(9):445-9.
10. Radenne F. Poster presented at IOACON Congress 2013.
WHAT I NEED TO REMEMBER
... injected into joints1
... within 1 week2
... It relieves pain for at least 6 months3